The principal H.R.G models catalogued and built by H.R.G Engineering between 1935-1956
The “1½ Litre”
Built 1935 to 1938. First HRG type, the prototype designed and built in 1935. Powered by Meadows 4ED push rod engine and Moss gearbox. Easily identified by their outside fuel tanks. First 16 cars had a narrow chassis, designated “A” prefix chassis numbers. Later cars were 2 inches wider and designated “W” chassis numbers. All production bodies built by Alban Croft of South Croydon.
Number built: 25
Built 1938 to 1956. Association with Singer Motors started in 1938 when the works demonstrator had its Meadows replaced with a Singer 12 hp SOHC engine and gearbox. The 1½ Litre model then evolved into the “1500”. Same wheel base as the 1½ Litre and all wide chassis. All with Singer 12hp SOHC engines and gearboxes, although the last 12 “1500”s used the Singer SM engine. Production bodies by REALL, then Automarine and St Leonards Engineering Co. All bodies, except one, with inside fuel tanks. Several sold in chassis form and bodied to customers’ designs.
Number built: 112
Built 1938 to 1949. Prototype introduced in 1938 and continued after WW2. Cheaper and lighter model using 9 hp and 10 hp Singer SOHC engines and gearboxes. Shorter chassis than the “1500”. Bodies by REALL, then later by Automarine.
Number built: 49
Built 1939/1940 to 1947. Prototype introduced in 1939/40 and production continued after WW2 through 1946 and 1947. All powered by Singer 12 hp engines and gearboxes. These were 35 “1500”chassis, with additional front and rear sub-frames, sold as the “Aerodynamic” model with bodywork by Fox & Nicholl. A further 10 “Aerodynamic chassis” were exported.
Number built: 45
The “Twin Cam”
Built 1955-56. Totally new design with tubular chassis. Independent suspension all round with transverse leaf springs. Powered by Singer SM engine and H.R.G designed alloy DOHC cylinder head. All enveloping bodywork by Wakefields.
Number built: 4
Built 1966. The very last HRG to be completed at the factory was designed by Stuart Procter and powered by a highly tuned Vauxhall VX 1600cc engine, installed in a square tube frame, with aluminium aerodynamic bodywork ,by Wakefields of East Moseley.
The car is now in a museum in Switzerland
Number built: 1
Two other models were catalogued by H.R.G, The Coupe and the Le Mans Model but only 1 example of each was built and sold. A small number of other standard and modified chassis were supplied and completed as “specials” by individuals. These are not necessarily detailed here.
Grand Total of 241 cars and chassis were manufactured between 1935 and 1956.
Examples of the various production models, seen at a HRG Association social meeting.